At the beginning of this year I moved in to my first house. It was a bit of a fixer-upper, so my wife and myself have been working since we moved in to update everything to build equity and to make everything livable. Eventually this house will turn into an income property so we want everything to be within or under budget.
We decided to upgrade the computer room first. Just so you can get an idea of what we were dealing with, below is a picture before we did anything to do the room.
We started the process by completely stripping the room of the carpet. It’s awesome what a box cutter and just a bit of force can do, it took me probably five minutes to completely remove it. Once we got rid of the carpet we cleaned up and painted the wall in a light grey color. We decided to wait to paint the re-purposed “closet” space as we were not entirely sure which direction we wanted to go yet.
Once we were done painting we installed our flooring. We decided to go with a cheap laminate from Home Depot. We decided to go with a darker laminate as the room gets a lot of light, plus it looks better with our paint choices.
For anybody planning on installing laminate flooring, buy a Miter Saw. We thought we could do it without one and instead use a plunge cutter, but that didn’t work out so well.
We also decided on a paint color for the closet area at this point too, we decided to go with a dark orange color. It’s striking, but we both think it looks really good in contrast with the rest of the room. We sampled the color from our favorite Mondo print.
This area of the office will eventually house bookshelves and some models.
The next thing we did was the desk. We both have desktop computers and I have my DJ equipment, so for functionality purposes, and because they look cool, we decided on a wrap around desk. The problem we ran into was there was no such desk available for purchase which met our specifications and anything custom made would cost a fortune. So we decided to build one ourselves.
The first thing we did was go to Lowes and purchase two half priced Bathroom Vanities to act as the base of the desk. After they were constructed we removed the sink tops. We then purchased two solid core doors, these things are damn heavy and they were not easy to get home.
Once we got the doors home we sanded them down, stained and finished them.
We then began constructing the desk. We drilled 2×4 into the studs in the wall and then drilled the doors into the 2×4. We supported the front side of the desk with the vanities and then used a jig to bind the two doors together to make it one solid piece. We also drilled screws from the bottom of the vanities up into the desk to provide additional support. This thing is rock solid, you could stand on it and jump and it would’t even creak.
The next part was to clean up the room and get everything setup. We purchased two flat pack bookshelves for the closet and we framed all of our artwork, we also replaced the blinds, light switches and the light fixture.
The bathroom vanities underneath the desk will act as storage and for network equipment such as the modem, router, etc.
Overall this project took us about two weekends to finish. It was really fun and we are really happy with the results. It’s nice have a fun and creative environment to work and relax in. Below is a panoramic picture of what the finished room looks like.
Since that picture was taken we’ve also added more artwork to the walls, such as this great Flight of the Conchords print by Tyler Stout.